Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Dinner Super Comforting Stew.

So, I'm not really one for taking pictures of food and I see how I suck at taking food pictures! But I'm really pleased with how my super comfort stew turned out. Wibby and I have been a bit under the weather the last few days and I finally have my appetite back, although Rob hasn't yet (yay more stew for me!).
So I will share my recipe (although it was just stuff that needed using up) and show you what mine looked like. If you decide to make it (I highly recommend it) just add or take stuff out to suit your taste, it's all about healthy comfort food.

Super Vegan Stew Hels Style
Ingredients:
1 Sweet Potato, diced
1 onion, chopped 
1 carrot, thinly sliced 
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 stick of celery, thinly sliced
1 parsnip, chopped
1 red or yellow pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
A tin of Chickpeas
A small tin of chopped tomatoes
A good handful of spinach
120g (ish, or a suitable portion) of quinoa
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp English mustard
Boiling water
Vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1,  Lightly fry the onion and leek in a drop of olive oil until translucent.
2, Add the carrot, sweet potato, celery, pepper and parsnip and allow to soften (around 10 mins)
3, Add the garlic, cumin, ginger and mustard and stir.
4. Add the chickpeas, tin of tomatoes and stir into the mixture (it will start smelling awesome at this point). Cover the stew in boiling water/veg stock so it just covers all the vegetable and allow to simmer for 30-45 mins. Add the spinach 2-3 minutes before serving
5, Add the quinoa to a pint of boiling vegetable stock, simmer until the water has gone (around 15 mins)
6, Put some of the Quinoa into the stew and use the rest as a side dish.
7, Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Why would you want meat in such and awesome stew? It's packed full of vits and protein. But that's the beauty in recipes, you can take the carrots out as you're weird and put chicken in I guess.

    ReplyDelete